Teacher Mark & Teacher Shavonne
“Train up a child in the way he should go and even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
This philosophy guides us in giving our children the quality of education that every child deserves. Our Green Room serves the children with age range from three to four years of age where the children are in the state of transition. They have the capacity to express themselves in words and ideas. This is the stage when social, physical, cognitive and language aspect of each and every child will be developed and enhanced. The Green Room follows a daily schedule to ensure that the objectives for each particular day are attained. Independent reading will be observed as soon as the children enter the classroom, and we conclude each day by closing time at 4:00 in the afternoon, followed by their free time from 4:00 to 5:00 pm.
Our classroom activities include circle time or “morning meeting” where the teacher leads the entire group in discussion about the daily schedule. Children review the calendar, the Pledge of Allegiance, days of the week, months of the year, weather, colors, shapes, letters and numbers. “Story Time” is the time when children position themselves in a comfortable space while the teacher reads from the book of the week the story. They look at the illustrations and are encouraged to inquire about the story. The teacher prompts the children to ask questions, assisting them in thinking about what will come next, the characters, the plot and language development. Different activities that are connected to the theme will be taught from several areas.
- Art – creative expression using paper, crayons, markers, paint, glue, clay, etc.
- Math - shapes, space, position, patterns, measurements, number recognition, quantity
- Science – experiments with nature, water, rocks, soil, food, dyes, life cycles, animals
- Social Studies - community leaders, workers, world leaders, cultures & issues
- Language Development - reading, talking, writing
- Health and Safety – fighting germs
Children also have time for the learning centers, where they can explore specific theme related add-ons. They also have time for learning enrichment and show-and-tell when they can talk about what they have learned and created for the day to enhance language development and social skills. They also have music and movement activities that involve songs with body movements for physical development.
Our out of classroom activities include free play and outdoor play, where children have an opportunity to choose a variety of activities including manipulative, dramatic play, blocks, listening center, library, science corner, and cooperative play, this time is also for the creative activity of the day, connected with the day’s objective.
The Green Room level of classroom work depends on our curriculum objectives. At the end of the school year child will be able to:
- know the names of all of the uppercase and lowercase letters
- know the phonetic sound of all the letters
- be able to correctly trace all the uppercase and lowercase letters with their finger
- know by name and be able to correctly trace numbers 1-15 with their finger
- be able to identify various colors and shapes
- be able to demonstrates spatial concepts, sorting, and AB and ABA patterns
- be able to say the letters of their first name as well as write them using all capital letters
- be introduced to many books
- show increase in fine and gross motor skills
The Green Room is a well-structured and well-ventilated room that makes it very conducive to the teaching/learning process. The room has different corners and centers such as Math corner, Science corner, Art or Creative corner, Music and movement center, Table toys center, Blocks and building center, Healthy choices corner, Class Work corner, Letter corner and Basic Sight Word corner where the children can explore the things that they learned. Green Room also adopts the principle of Multiple Intelligences where we cater to individual differences. We know the fact that no two individuals are exactly alike and each individual is unique with his/her own strength like linguistic, logical-mathematical, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, naturalist and existential intelligence. Whatever intelligences your children may have, we try our best to watch for the cues along the way and encourage them to be whatever they want to be.
With the help of parents, we hope that we can develop in each child a positive self-image and a love of learning and going to school so that they will be equipped with knowledge and necessary skills in order for them to be able to reach for their dream. Join us!